Donna and Mike Attardo of The Great Foodini.
Culinary champions crowned at Peach Festival
Fri, Sep 6th 2019 03:35 pm
Food took center stage on the first night of this year’s Niagara County Peach Festival.
Bruce Gonka won first place in the Taste-Off competition for his peach crumb delight. Judges from Niagara County Community College and its Niagara Falls Culinary Institute cited the dessert’s taste, texture, presentation and use of fresh peaches.
Gonka received certificates to Wegmans and Niagara Jet Adventures.
Next, more than a half-dozen food vendors were awarded certificates of merit – and bragging rights – following a competition amongst on-field chefs.
- Kiwanis Choice: The Great Foodini, for a white pizza topped with peaches, goat cheese, arugula, mozzarella and balsamic glaze.
- Best Entrée: Island Wraps, with its pulled-pork rubbish plate.
- Best Side Dish: Seas the Day Seafood, for coconut shrimp with peach-colada dipping sauce.
- Best Sandwich: Casa Antica Italian Ristorante, with its peach steak wrap.
- Best Peach Item: Mediterranean Cuisine, for its peach tempura.
- Best Dessert: El Gran Coqui Catering, with its cinnamon-topped peach rice pudding.
- Most Unique: Butts and Links BBQ and Catering, for its barbecue-smoked wings in bourbon peach glaze.
Bruce Gonka’s peach crumb delight.