Summer is approaching and the Youngstown Heritage Tours & Tourism Committee has announced its 2015 tour schedule. All walking tours are scheduled from June through October. They begin at 6 p.m. at Falkner Park in the village and are free and open to the public.
Sponsored by the committee, in conjunction with the Town of Porter Historical Society, the tours last approximately 90 minutes. A donation is requested.
•Walking tours open June 11 with the "Historic Main Street Tour." Featured will be Ada Steele, whose husband built the famous El Dorado Hotel. She'll tell the story of Youngstown's past. The walk will take visitors through Youngstown's commercial district on Main Street and by homes of area merchants who prospered as the community grew. The tour focuses on the period of 1815-1915.
•July 11 features "Women & The War of 1812" and presents a woman's view of the War of 1812 as told by Agnes Greensitt. This tour focuses on the families who resided in the hamlet of what was known as "Young's town" in the early 1800s, and how they survived the War of 1812 when the British burned the hamlet. This tour covers the period 1750-1815.
•The Aug. 8 tour examines "The Lower Niagara River & Youngstown Water Front" and the importance of the lower Niagara River to the development of the hamlet of Young's town. Learn how the river affected the community's development and visit historic sites along the riverbank, which tell the story of the region. This tour examines the period 1700-2000.
•September is devoted to "The Underground Railroad" and concentrates on the history of the Underground Railroad and the role of Youngstown residents who helped escaping slaves cross the lower Niagara River to reach freedom in Canada. The tour covers the period 1820-60.
•The final tour of the season is scheduled for Oct. 3 and 10 and titled "Youngstown Hauntings." It includes a visit to Youngstown cemeteries and the Ontario House, where visitors will hear the stories of Youngstown ghosts and the homes and buildings they haunt.