YMCA Camp Kenan is offering residence and day camps to give kids and teens across Western New York an adventurous, active and healthy summer. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Nearly 50 percent of U.S. parents say technological distractions - such as television, cell phones or video games - make it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle for their children. This is according to the latest findings of the YMCA's Family Health Snapshot, a survey that gauges children's activity levels during the school year. With more free time in summer, ensuring kids practice healthy habits could be a greater challenge. The Y encourages parents to help their kids unplug from technology and explore all the Y's camp has to offer from June 24 to Aug. 30.
"Attending YMCA Camp Kenan summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active," says Luke D. Kantor, director of YMCA Camp Kenan. "When at camp, kids get to learn about nature, take on new responsibilities, gain independence, and develop essential social skills and new relationships. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp so that every child can benefit from the experience."
He said there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. Adventure: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit www.CampKenan.com for details.
2. Healthy Fun: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
3. Personal Growth: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
4. New Friendships: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships.
5. Memories: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and campfire stories) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
YMCA Camp Kenan offers seven weeklong residence camp sessions for youth ages 7-14; 10 weeklong day camp sessions for youth ages 6-12; "Leader in Training" programs for youth ages 14-15; "Counselor in Training" programs for youth ages 16-17; birthday parties at camp; off-season teambuilding retreats and rentals; and much, much more. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, YMCA Camp Kenan offers financial assistance and camp scholarships to those in need.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for more than 150 years. YMCA Camp Kenan continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids' character.