'Movies and Popcorn' in Lockportby jmaloni
The Erie Canal Discovery Center has announced a new series of weekly documentary movies, "Movies & Popcorn," to be shown every Saturday this winter at 11 a.m., beginning Saturday, Dec. 15. These full-length features will include several award-winning productions from around Western New York as well as other documentaries and travelogues prepared by National Geographic and PBS.
The first film in the series is titled, "Celebrate Niagara-USA," a feature film produced by Trellis Marketing of Buffalo, which aired this summer on local broadcast stations. This fascinating video includes segments of more than a dozen local tourist and cultural attractions around Niagara County, including the Erie Canal Discovery Center and the Lockport Cave and Underground Boat Ride in Lockport.
"If you didn't get a chance to see this film on TV, this would be a good opportunity to see the show, and we'll even throw in the popcorn for your enjoyment," said Discovery Center Director Douglas Farley.
The schedule of upcoming Saturday matinees includes:
- Dec. 15 "Celebrate Niagara-USA," by Niagara Tourism and Convention Corp.
- Dec. 22 "WNY from A to Z," a local travelogue by WNED
- Dec. 29 "Lockport Old Home Week Parade," the complete 2010 centennial parade by LCTV
- Jan. 5 "Lockport Remembers 180 Years of History," filmed in Lockport in 2008 by Low Bridge Productions
- Jan. 12 "Lock-Tide," the story of how boats travel uphill by Low Bridge Productions
Additional new films will continue throughout the winter months. Admission to these feature films is included in Erie Canal Discovery Center general admission of $6 adults, $5 seniors and $4 students. Reservations, though not required, are encouraged, and can be made by calling 716-439-0431.