'Soldiers of the Revolution' battle over Old Fort Niagaraby jmaloni
On Aug. 11-12, British redcoats will once again scan the eastern horizon for signs of Continental soldiers intent on capturing Old Fort Niagara. About 100 re-enactors will gather at the 18th century fort to recreate the American Revolution on the New York frontier when British soldiers, loyalists and American continentals struggled over the issues of liberty and independence.
"Soldiers of the Revolution" events will include battle reenactments at 3 p.m. each day, as well as cannon and musket firings, historical drama and hands on activities for families. At 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., young visitors will have the opportunity to enlist on the side of their choice and participate in a mock battle using wooden muskets.
Participants will establish 18th century period camps where visitors can experience the life of soldiers and camp followers 235 years ago. Fifes and drums will be on hand to perform the music of the period, and a special tour will illustrate Fort Niagara's role during the War for Independence.
For more information, call Fort Niagara at 716-745-7611 or visitwww.oldfortniagara.org.
'Soldiers of the Revolution' Schedule of Activities
- 10 a.m. Formation/Colors
- 10:15-11 a.m. Manual Exercise
- 10:30-11:30 a.m. Redcoats and Revolution Tour
- 11:30 a.m. Recruiting Demonstration. Kids of all ages choose either the Continental Army or the British Army and do battle with wooden muskets.
- Noon: Artillery Firing Demonstration
- 1 p.m. Military Music of the American Revolution
- 1:30 p.m. British Court Martial. Join a British soldier as he stands trial for deserting his post.
- 2 p.m. Recruiting Demonstration
- 3 p.m. Battle Demonstration
- 4 p.m. Reveille Race
- 5 p.m. Musket Firing Demonstration
- 6 p.m. Musket Firing Demonstration