The Town of Niagara was formed on June 1, 1812, under the name of Schlosser. On Feb. 14, 1816, its name was officially changed to the Town of Niagara.
There have been many boundary changes in its history, culminating with its present borders in 1955. Originally a part of Cambria, its first division came in 1827 when the Town of Pendleton was portioned off and in 1836, it was further divided when Wheatfield was formed. On March 17, 1892, the villages of Niagara Falls and Suspension Bridge were separated from the Town of Niagara to form the City of Niagara Falls; the Village of LaSalle was annexed by the new city on June 1, 1927. The final cut came in 1955 when an area on the north side of Pine Avenue was annexed by the city to finish the current border lines.
The first town hall was located on south Military Road. It was sold for use as the Masonic Temple when LaSalle was annexed into the City of Niagara Falls. Town meetings were then held at Mayle's Blacksmith Shop at Pletcher's Corners (Lockport and Military roads) until the new town hall was completed on Lockport Road, now known as East Britton Drive. This facility was used until 1972 when another structure was constructed on current Lockport Road. The old hall became the home of the Lion's Club and later the Senior Citizens Center.
The Town of Niagara is celebrating its bicentennial this year.
This historical note is reprinted by permission of the Niagara County Historical Society and research by Dorothy Rolling.