Niagara University offering free CERT training courses to Niagara County residentsby jmaloni
Border Community SERVICE of Niagara University will host two free CERT training courses this May in Niagara County.
Classes at Wrights Corners Fire Company, 4043 Lake Ave., Lockport, start May 1 and run nine consecutive Tuesday nights (6:30 to 9:30 p.m.), culminating with a disaster simulation June 26.
Classes at Cambria Fire Company, 4631 Cambria-Wilson Road, Cambria (Lockport), take place for nine straight Thursday evenings (6:30 to 9:30 p.m.) beginning May 3, and end with a disaster simulation June 28.
CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training is a community preparedness course that includes academic and hands-on instruction, as well as a disaster training exercise that is designed to prepare community members to help themselves, their family and neighbors in the event of a catastrophic disaster. Individuals can make a difference by using CERT Training to save lives and protect property in their neighborhoods.
CERT training topics include:
- Disaster preparedness: disasters and disaster workers, and community preparedness
- Emergency medical operations I: triage and treating life threatening injuries
- Emergency medical operations II: public health considerations and patient treatment
- Fire safety: fire chemistry, hazards, safety and suppression
- Light search and rescue: search and rescue size up and operations
- CERT team organization and incident command system (ICS 100)
- Disaster psychology: impact of disaster on rescuers and victims and its mitigation
- Terrorism and CERT: terrorism and its goals, CERT protocols for terrorism
- Disaster simulation training exercise: course review and hands-on exercise
Participants must be at least 16 years old and plan to attend all sessions.
To enroll in the course, register online at www.niagara.edu/bcs-enrollment. Please indicate which class you are enrolling in. For more information, contact Valerie Haseley, Niagara County project coordinator, at 716-205-0076 or [email protected].
The mission of Border Community SERVICE (Special Emergency Response Volunteer Initiative for Community Empowerment) of Niagara University is to provide emergency preparedness training to citizens and to encourage their participation in opportunities that enhance regional emergency readiness.