Mount St. Mary's Hospital March eventsby jmaloni
Mount St. Mary's Hospital will conduct a series of educational programs in March as part of its "Health for All Seasons" community education series.
Starting Tuesday, March 6, and continuing on March 13 and 20, pre-diabetes education classes will be held. This class is for you if you are overweight, have a family history of diabetes and slightly elevated blood sugars. Learn how to make good lifestyle changes that may help slow the progression toward diabetes. This series of classes will focus on nutrition, exercise and healthy lifestyle habits. Classes will be held on Tuesdays, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in Room 249. Pre-registration is required; call 298-2297.
On Wednesday, March 14, certified diabetes educator Debra Hoffman will present "Taking Charge of Your Diabetes". This all-day session runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will be held in Room 249 of the main hospital building. To register, call 298-2297.
On Wednesday, March 14, "What the Sandwich Generation Needs to Know: Making Sure Your Parents are Safe and Secure When they Need Care in the Future" will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the Our Lady of Peace Nursing Care Residence. Speakers include: MaryEllen Stierer, Niagara County Medicaid Eligibility Programs; Stephen Sporn, ND, MPA, doctor of naturopathic medicine; Susan Christian, Niagara County Office for the Aging; and Ron Zito, Our Lady of Peace Nursing Care Residence. Learn what sons and daughters need to know to ensure their parents are properly cared for when they can't take care of themselves. Register at 298-2145.
On Tuesday, March 27, "Exercising with Osteoporosis" will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Primary Education Center on the Lewiston-Porter School District campus. The program is provided in conjunction with Lewiston-Porter community education and will feature instruction on safe, effective exercise and the benefits for those with osteoporosis. Speakers include Amy Murdock, PT, Cert. MDT and Kathryn Kopf, PT, Cert MDT, CLT. Pre-register by March 23 at 298-2249.
On Friday, March 23, Mount St. Mary's will conduct a blood drive for the community blood bank of Upstate New York Transplant Services. The UNYTS drive will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments are available at 298-2145. Walk-ins are welcome.
Other programs for the month include:
- March 3, Fibromyalgia support group at 1 p.m. in Room 249
- March 5, 12 and 19, expectant parent classes at 7:30 p.m. in hospital cafeteria
- March 13, Alzheimer's support group at 2 p.m. at Our Lady of Peace Nursing Care residence
- March 14, Post-partum breastfeeding class at 1 p.m. in Room 249
- March 14, Parent's Grief Support Group for Infants at 6:30 p.m. in Room 723B
- March 14, Fertility care introductory sessions in natural family planning at 7:30 p.m. in Room 249
- March 15, US TOO! Niagara Region Prostate Cancer Support Group at 7 p.m. in Room 723A
- March 20, Diabetes support group at 6:30 p.m. in Room 723A
- March 22, Siblings class, "Let's Celebrate Big Brothers/Big Sisters," at 6:30 p.m. in Room 249
- March 27, Breast cancer support group at 7:30 p.m. in Room 723A.