40 Years Ago, Dec. 15, 1971
Hooker examines pollution
Executives of Hooker Chemical Corporation were urged to be in the forefront of industry pollution control programs at a corporate-wide environmental workshop held Tuesday at the (Niagara Falls) Parkway Ramada Inn.
"You are riding the crest of a new era," group vice president John S. Coey told his audience of some 85 executives comprised of plant managers, business managers, environmental engineers and health and safety managers. "It is an exciting and challenging era that offers unlimited opportunities to be creative and innovative helping out industry meet world-wide environmental goals. The old ways aren't good anymore. People everywhere are expecting and demanding better ways of doing things. And Hooker and its parent company, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, want to be in the forefront of this environmental work."
30 Years Ago, Dec. 11, 1981
Isle eternal flame to be restored
The eternal flame in DeGlopper Memorial Park will again shine brightly as a reminder of Grand Island servicemen who gave their lives for our country.
Ordered extinguished by the Public Service Commission in 1973, the gas lighting fixture in Memorial Park has at long last been found to meet the state PSC's requirements under Item No. 2B, noted as Memorial Lighting, according to information received from James E. Siebert of National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation.
Siebert advised Supervisor LaVerne C. Luther, "Unless otherwise ordered by the New York State Public Service Commission, the town many continue using natural gas for the existing gas lighting at the DeGlopper Memorial Park, which commemorates the men from Grand Island who die in service to their country."
Luther was serving as town councilman when the light was discontinued July 2, 1973, at the request of the PSC.
20 Years Ago, Dec. 20, 1991
Board of Appeals recognizes Wheeler
John Wheeler was presented an inscribed copper mug by Ellwood Hauser, chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals, preceding the board's December meeting as a token of thanks for his many years of dedication to the board and the town. Wheeler, who moved to Grand Island with his family in 1941, served on the board from 1958 to 1991. He always had an interest in the Island and its development and was instrumental, along with the late Fred Turner, in securing the property along the south side of Love Road, including the land for Kaegebein School, the Edward M. Ball Memorial Park, corner of Love and Stony Point roads, and additional lots for the residents on that side of Love Road.
10 Years Ago, Dec. 14, 2001
Holiday House Tour a success
The Grand Island Holiday House Tour has been called a "great way to kick off the holidays." This special event, organized by the nearly 12-year-old Historic Trinity Committee, allows its tourists to visit Grand Island homes that offer views into history, and that that are dressed up beautifully for the holidays.
The 2001 Home Tour was the seventh annual for the Historic Trinity Committee and began with refreshments and a craft show at the chapel. Before heading out into the town to view the homes, tourists were afforded the opportunity to learn about the history of the chapel itself.