'Pantheon of Warriors' event highlights Niagara University's Alumni Weekendby jmaloni
Schedule includes golf tourney, campus tours, dinner dance, much more
The "Pantheon of Warriors," a new offering meant to recognize Niagara University graduates called to duty during times of war, highlights a 2011 Alumni Weekend schedule that includes more than 25 events. All Niagara University alumni, particularly those from class years ending in 1s and 6s, are invited to reunite the weekend of Oct. 7-9 so that they may rediscover Monteagle Ridge and relive their days as Purple Eagles.
In addition to traditional Alumni Weekend festivities - a golf tournament, dinner dance, class reunions, campus tours and more - the 2011 edition will feature a ceremony commemorating the nation's servicemen and women. Graduates of Niagara's ROTC program who were commissioned, called to active duty and served during a war will be individually recognized and thanked for their service. Maj. Gen. Vincent E. Boles, '76, the highest-ranking graduate of Niagara's ROTC program, will provide the keynote address. The "Pantheon of Warriors" event will take place immediately following the ROTC Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday morning.
"We are privileged to have an opportunity to annually honor the men and women who have shown to be proficient in the university's Reserve Officers' Training Corps program," said Jaclyn Rossi, Niagara University's assistant director of alumni relations. "With this year's Alumni Weekend occurring shortly after the 10th anniversary of 9/11, we felt like this was the ideal time to especially recognize the NU alumni who have proudly served the United States during a wartime period."
The Niagara University Alumni Weekend food drive will also return for a second year, with all proceeds benefiting the Heart, Love & Soul soup kitchen in the City of Niagara Falls. Attendees are encouraged to donate a nonperishable food item at any event during the weekend.
Below is the full schedule of events for Niagara University's Alumni Weekend:
Friday, Oct. 7
- 10 a.m.: 27th Annual Golf Tournament
- 11:30 a.m.: Castellani Art Museum Tour
- 2:30 p.m.: Class of 1951 Anniversary Mass
- 4:15 p.m.: Monument Ceremony with Class of 1951
- 4:15 p.m.: Dedication of Vietnam War Memorial Plaque by Class of 1961
- 5:30 p.m.: Class of 1961 Golden Eagle Mass and Celebration
- 5:30 p.m.: Class of 1951 Anniversary Dinner
- 7 p.m.: Welcome Back Party
Saturday, Oct. 8
- 8 a.m.: Coffee Bar and Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m.: ROTC Hall of Fame Induction
- 10 a.m.: Pantheon of Warriors
- 10 a.m.: Campus Tour
- 10 a.m.: Renewal of Marriage Vows
- 10 a.m.: Annual Awards Presentation
- 11:30 a.m.: ReunionFest Lunch at the Grill/Wine Tasting/Build-a-Bird
- 1 p.m.: Campus Tour
- 1 p.m.: Sigma Theta Tau Induction
- 2 p.m.: Nursing Alumni Reception
- 5:30 p.m.: Class of 1986 Silver Eagle Reception
- 6 p.m.: Alumni Dinner Dance at the Conference Center Niagara Falls
Sunday, Oct. 9
- 9 a.m.: Coffee Bar and Breakfast
- 11 a.m.: Alumni Memorial Mass
To learn more about Alumni Weekend 2011 and/or to make reservations, contact Niagara University's Office of Alumni Relations by phone at 716-286-8787 or via email at [email protected].