Golden Age Center calendar of eventsby jmaloni
The Golden Age Center is located 3278 Whitehaven Road.
•Tuesday, Sept. 13 - A representative from Independent Health will visit the center from 10 a.m. to noon to answer health insurance questions.
•Wednesday, Sept. 14 - The center will hold a birthday lunch in honor of members who will celebrate a birthday in September. Reservations are a must.
•Thursday, Sept. 15 - The Golden Age Club executive board will meet at 12:45 p.m.
•Monday, Sept. 26 - A meeting of the Travel Club will take place at 10 a.m. to discuss trips for 2012.
•Monday, Sept. 26 - Appointments begin for a flu shot clinic on Oct. 3. Call in after 1 p.m.
•Monday, Sept. 26 - Game Day! Refreshments will be served and a variety of games will be contested.
•Wednesday, Sept. 28 - The center will honor past presidents of the Golden Age Club with a complimentary lunch.
•Tuesday, Oct. 11 - Super Bingo comes to the GAC.
•Saturday, Oct. 23 - The center will host the Holiday Bazaar. Call the office at 773-9682 to sign up for a table.
•The 2011 mitten project continues. Anyone wishing to participate in making mittens, hats or scarves may contact Lorraine for yarn, patterns, needles or hooks.
•Transportation is available on a priority basis for all Island residents over age 50. Appointments on the Island must be made at least two working days in advance, and five days in advance for off-Island transportation.
•The rising cost of food has necessitated an increase in the price of lunches to $3.
Golden Age Center Menu
Each meal is served with a cup of homemade soup, vegetable, potato or other starch, bread, butter and tea or coffee.
- Thursday, Sept. 8: polish sausage and sauerkraut
- Friday, Sept. 9: Souper Seniors
- Monday, Sept. 12: Amish casserole
- Tuesday, Sept. 13: cold plate
- Wednesday, Sept. 14: beef stew and birthday lunch
- Thursday, Sept. 15: chicken and dumplings
- Friday, Sept. 16: Souper Seniors
- Monday, Sept. 19: sausage bake
- Tuesday, Sept. 20: liver and onions
- Wednesday, Sept. 21: hamburger chop suey
- Thursday, Sept. 22: sirloin tips over noodles
- Friday, Sept. 23: Souper Seniors
- Monday, Sept. 26: ham and sweet potato
- Tuesday, Sept. 27: hot turkey sandwich
- Wednesday, Sept. 28: shepherd's pie
- Thursday, Sept. 29: pizza casserole
- Friday, Sept. 30: Souper Seniors
•One-hour walk-abouts begin at 10 a.m. each Wednesday, weather permitting. Call 773-5531 for details. An upcoming walk will begin at Broadway and East River Road (Sept. 7); Bedell and Stony Point roads (Sept. 14); the KOA on Grand Island Boulevard (Sept. 21); and the Bluewater path (Sept. 28). Call Sally Waterson for more information at 773-5531.