The historic building once known as The Clarkson House is again available for rent with the announcement Taquito Lindo is ending its tenancy.
A Facebook post explained, “It was fun while it lasted. We would like to thank all our faithful supporters in Lewiston. We have decided to close our Lewiston location effective immediately. Gift cards are still redeemable at our Grand Island and Williamsville (opening soon) locations.”
Andrew Mackmin and his wife, Sandra Ortiz, Grand Island residents, opened their first Taquito Lindo location at 1849 Grand Island Blvd., on June 1, 2021. They built a loyal following based on their menu of authentic artisanal tacos, fajitas and specialty margaritas. Mackmin, a Town of Tonawanda native, met his wife in Mexico, where she was studying. Many of the restaurant’s recipes are hers.
They brought their street taco concept to 810 Center St., Lewiston, at the beginning of this year.
Customers noticed an immediate change in interior décor. Tables had orange, blue and yellow chairs. Items decorating the restaurant included a calavera, a cultural icon of the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead.
The circa-1818 building, owned by GMA Properties, is available through Amendola Property Management. For more information, call 716-285-5050.
The Clarkson family’s well-regarded, steak and lobster restaurant ran from 1958 through 1995.
Prior to Taquito Lindo, the spot was home to the Griffon House. The gastropub has since moved to Water Street – at another historic site, formerly the Riverside Inn and then Water Street Landing.
A request to Mackmin and Ortiz for further comment was declined.