"American Idol" winner Just Sam is shown with judge Lionel Richie performing a new version of "We are the World." (ABC photo)
America has voted! The newest 'American Idol' is Just Sam
Mon, May 18th 2020 02:50 pm
“American Idol” concluded its all-new, innovative and critically celebrated season on ABC on Sunday night, crowning Just Sam as the next singing sensation live during the epic grand finale event.
The singer found a place in the heart of the viewing public by showing off her determination – first as a subway singer, then as a new Hollywood resident and, of course, throughout the season as she fought for the title. Just Sam was a consistent performer with a strong voice and keen song selection.
Just Sam defeated finalist Arthur Gunn. The rest of the final five semifinalists included Dillon James, Francisco Martin and Jonny West.
Grand finale performances included the following:
- Academy Award nominee Cynthia Erivo and the Top 11 performing a medley of iconic Aretha Franklin songs
- Grammy winner Lauren Daigle and the top 5 performing three-times-Platinum hit “You Say”
- Superstar vocal group Rascal Flatts and Doug Kiker performing “Bless The Broken Road”
- Luke Bryan performing his new single “One Margarita”
- Katy Perry performing her new single “Daisies” in its first-ever TV debut
- Lionel Richie performing “We are the World” joined by “Idol” judges and members of the “American Idol” family, including Alejandro Aranda (aka Scarypoolparty), Fantasia Taylor, Gabby Barrett, Jordin Sparks, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler, Laine Hardy, Lauren Alaina, Phillip Phillips, Ruben Studdard and Scotty McCreery.