A ceremony was held Sunday at Lewiston Village Cemetery, amid a new section of the site that acknowledges some of the area’s original residents.
Historical notes from 1812 to the present were engraved onto the bronze historical plaque, which was placed in the Oakwood section of the cemetery. The sign reads:
“This site on the western side of the newer cemetery was known as Oakwood for the oak trees lining its border. Formally a hay field next to the original cemetery and was purchased in 1875. Here lies early settlers that were moved from their family plots and well known Lewistonians that made Lewiston what it is today. On your far left is potters field which marks the western and southern boundary of the older cemetery. This cemetery was originally located on flat wet ground on the corner of Cayuga and Sixth Street. In 1812 a cemetery committee was formed and it was decided to move the cemetery to higher dry ground on this knoll. The cemetery occupies the eastern side and the church the western side. Most of Lewistons founding families are buried here. The two cemeteries are now one, known as the Lewiston Village Cemetery and is on the national historic register.”
Speakers at the ceremony included the Rev. Joyce Serianni; Tom Collister, representing the Historical Association of Lewiston; Mayor Anne Welch; and Historian Russ Piper, who oversaw the project. Veterans of Foreign Wars Downriver Post 7487 provided an honor guard, and Town of Wheatfield Historian Justin Higner presented a memorial wreath.
The marker was mounted onto a boulder provided by the Village of Lewiston Department of Public Works.
(Photos by Joshua Maloni)