With the nearing of their 200th anniversary, members and friends of First Presbyterian Church in Niagara Falls have set out to restore the bell tower of their building at 311 First St., Niagara Falls.
A press release stated, “The building, first constructed in 1849, is one of only a handful that survived the urban renewal of the 1970s. With the 200th anniversary on the horizon (2024), the congregation has decided it is once again time for the bell to ring out over the city.”
To fund the project, the congregation will hold a capital campaign, use some of its reserve funds donated over the life of the congregation, launch a social media funding opportunity, and request funding from the New York State Preservation Fund.
The press release added, “First Presbyterian Church is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Heritage Path being developed by USA Niagara takes people right to the front door of the building. It is an important example of Gothic Revival architecture, and the only remaining building designed by Calvin Fay in New York state. With the world visiting Niagara Falls, preserving this piece of history and sharing its story is important for the community.”
Congregation leader Carol Dashineau said, “We look forward to hearing the bell ring out over the city once again.” Part of the project will restore the belfry that has fallen into disrepair over the years.
The work will take about 18 months to complete. The congregation hopes to have work completed in time for an anniversary celebration in the fall of 2024.