Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Buffalo Silver Band (Submitted photo)
Buffalo Silver Band (Submitted photo)

Buffalo Silver Band to perform in Youngstown


Fri, Sep 10th 2021 12:45 pm

At 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, the Buffalo Silver Band will perform the last of its summer concerts at the First Presbyterian Church of Youngstown, 100 Church St. The BSB will play a program of film music scores, jazz arrangements, and lighter musical fare. Admission is free, but donations will be gratefully accepted.

This will be an outdoor concert, and a portion of the parking lot will be used as the performance and audience space. As such, there will be limited parking; but there is also sufficient street parking near the parking lot. In the case of inclement weather, the performance will move into the church’s fellowship hall. Chairs will be provided, but patrons may elect to bring their own.

A press release stated, “The distinctive sound of the current Buffalo Silver Band is a fairly standard instrumentation for British-style brass (silver) bands: 10 cornets, a flugelhorn, three tenor horns, two baritones, two euphoniums, three trombones, four basses, and two to four percussionists. About 25% of the group is current or retired music educators, and the remaining 75% are members of other professions who love music and who have a high standard of playing defined by their own disciplined practice regimen. Many of the group’s members play in multiple bands throughout Western New York.”

The current conductor is Bill Cocca, a veteran of 36 years in public school music education as band director, with music degrees from SUNY Fredonia and Ithaca College.

Hometown News

View All News