Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

$110 million is available to fund community-based mobility and environmental mitigation projects

Submitted

Thu, Jul 1st 2021 08:40 pm

Funding supports goals of New York's nation-leading climate programs and emphasizes activities that address the mobility needs of all users, abilities
√ Assists municipalities in meeting requirements of Clean Air Act, Americans with Disabilities Act

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday announced $110 million in new funding is available to support community-based investments designed to strengthen the cultural, aesthetic and environmental aspects of local and regional transportation systems, while promoting safety and mobility. This initiative funds projects that create new and enhance existing bicycle and pedestrian facilities, improve access to public transportation, create safe routes to schools, convert abandoned railway corridors to pedestrian trails, and help reduce congestion and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector. In addition, these funds may be used by municipalities to support activities that meet requirements of the Clean Air Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"As we reimagine, rebuild and renew for the postpandemic future, we must recognize that safety and mobility are essential for our diverse regions to grow and prosper," Cuomo said. "These community-based projects reaffirm New York's nation-leading commitment to protecting the environment while facilitating local economic development and improving public health."

Projects will be selected through a competitive solicitation process and rated based on established criteria that include public benefit, air quality improvement, and finance and/or delivery innovation. Projects must be related to the surface transportation system and provide full access to the public. Applications for funding may be developed by any municipality or nonprofit incorporated group, but projects must be sponsored either by a municipality, a state agency or public authority eligible to administer federal transportation funds. 

Eligible project activities include:

√ Constructing new/enhancing existing pedestrian and bicycle facilities;

√ Constructing new/enhancing existing ADA-accessible sidewalks, installing pedestrian safety features and adding streetscaping/corridor landscaping;

√ Converting abandoned railroad corridors into multiuse recreational trails;

√ Preserving/rehabilitating historic transportation facilities;

√ Implementing environmental mitigation measures to address stormwater management, control and water pollution prevention or abatement related to highway runoff;

√ Reducing vehicle-caused wildlife mortality or to restore and maintain connectivity among terrestrial or aquatic habitats;

√ Enhancing traffic signals or intersections that improve traffic flow; and

√ Providing travel demand programs intended to shift traffic demand to non-peak hours or other transportation modes.

The funds, made available to the state through the Federal Highway Administration and administered by the Department of Transportation, are provided through the Transportation Alternatives Program and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program. These programs will provide up to 80% of project-related cost, with the remaining 20% provided by project sponsors. The DOT will accept applications for this funding opportunity through Sept. 29. The application, program guidance and workshop schedules are located at dot.ny.gov/tap-cmaq.

DOT Commissioner Marie Therese Dominguez said, "This program is a great example of how New York state DOT is continuing to advance policies and programs that afford all New Yorkers safe and environmentally sound mobility opportunities for work, recreation and social connectivity. These critical community-based investments provide positive impacts for our downtown business districts and enhance the overall safety and quality of life for our state's residents and visitors."

comments powered by Disqus

Hometown News

View All News