Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories
There will be a private unveiling of a World War II service cloth bearing the names of 148 men and women from the Belden Center area of the Town of Niagara who served in the military during World War II. The private ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. Sunday, May 30, at the Community Center located in Veteran’s Memorial Community Park, 7000 Lockport Road.
The cloth was sewn in 1945 by 14 women from Belden Center and is on permanent loan from the Town of Niagara Historical Society. These veterans were either residents of Belden Center in the northeast part of the Town of Niagara and/or students at Nevada Avenue School. The cloth was recently framed by Arthur Garabedian and will hang in the Community Center along with a plaque from 1946 that lists the names of 13 of those men on the cloth who died in the war.