Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

A photo from 1888-90 depicting a parade on the `Big Bridge,` where the Lockport Municipal Building now stands. From left: First Free Congressional Church, First Presbyterian Church, Methodist Episcopal Church and St. Patrick's Catholic Church. (Courtesy of The History Center of Niagara)
A photo from 1888-90 depicting a parade on the "Big Bridge," where the Lockport Municipal Building now stands. From left: First Free Congressional Church, First Presbyterian Church, Methodist Episcopal Church and St. Patrick's Catholic Church. (Courtesy of The History Center of Niagara)

Brand-new publication at History Center of Niagara looks at Lockport

Submitted

Tue, Dec 8th 2020 02:30 pm

The History Center of Niagara has a brand-new publication available: “A History of the Protestant Churches in the City of Lockport.” Meticulously researched and compiled by Assistant Director/Education Coordinator Ann Marie Linnabery, this anticipated literary reference can be purchased at a special book signing with the author at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 16, at 215 Niagara St., Lockport (face masks and social distancing required).

The book boasts more than 50 pages of the histories of over 20 churches in the City of Lockport, along with colorful photos/illustrations included. It was published with the assistance from a fund provided by the former Wright’s Corners Presbyterian Church.

A press release noted, “Eloquently depicting the rich and oftentimes elusive history of these churches, Mrs. Linnabery highlights the significant events and people connected to these churches, founded in Lockport during the 19th and 20th centuries.”

Some of the churches described in this publication include The First Presbyterian (1823-), The Methodist-Episcopal (1823-1928), All Saint’s Chapel (1896-1979), The First Free Congregational (1838-1920), and The African Methodist Episcopal Church (1835-). Each contributed to their faith with plans to strengthen outreach and support beyond their own communities.

The press release added, “The detail in which this publication is written clearly shows the human connection these historic churches shared, although each differed in their teachings and beliefs. It is the history compiled within these pages that gives an in-depth view at how parishioners and ministries worked together to create a more encompassing space – though their many triumphs and challenges.”

The book also can be published online at www.niagarhistory.com, or at the Outwater Emporium Gift Shop, located at 215 Niagara St. For more information, call 716-434-7433 or email [email protected].

comments powered by Disqus

Hometown News

View All News