The First Presbyterian Church of Lewiston will open its doors to the community on Christmas Eve.
The church, established Jan. 20, 1817, is the oldest in the Village of Lewiston and recently celebrated its 200th anniversary. Tours of The Old Stone Church, featuring a beautiful Victorian theme, were held during the recent Lewiston Christmas Walk.
First Presbyterian Church played a significant spiritual role in many of the village’s most historic milestones. Of particular note was its place in the history surrounding the Underground Railroad. During this important Civil War period, a bright light displayed in The Old Stone Church steeple served as a signal to Canadian neighbors that slaves were about to be transported across the Niagara River, to their shores and to freedom.
All are welcome to attend the Christmas Eve candlelight service starting at 6 p.m. in The Old Stone Church. The Rev. Dr. Elizabeth Morgan will officiate with assistance from Robert Hull, a renowned Western New York organist, who serves as music director for the church.
First Presbyterian Church is located at 505 Cayuga St. Parking is available in front of the church and in a large lot directly behind the building.