The Alzheimer's Association Western New York chapter is planning a number of education programs across Niagara County in October. These programs are free and open to the public.
Ransomville Free Library at 3733 Ransomville Road in Ransomville will host Understanding Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia at 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 18. This educational program covers the basics about the disease and related dementias.
Additionally, the Chapter trains facilitators to lead several monthly caregiver support groups across the county, which allow caregivers to connect with others facing similar challenges and hear advice for overcoming them:
- Second Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. - St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Burt and West Creek Road in Burt.
- Third Wednesday at 6 p.m. - Mount St. Mary's Hospital, Room 723A, 5300 Military Road in Lewiston.
- Second Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. - Trinity Lutheran Church, 67 Saxton St., Lockport - community social respite available at this location. Call 1-800-272-3900 for information.
- Third Tuesday at 11 a.m. - John Duke Senior Center, 1201 Hyde Park Blvd., Niagara Falls
- Last Thursday at 1 p.m. - Empower, 9812 Lockport Road, Niagara Falls - community social respite may be available at this location. Please call 1.800.272.3900 for information.
- Third Wednesday at 1 p.m. - Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Adult Day, 3780 Commerce Court No. 100, North Tonawanda - respite service available by calling 1-800-272-3900.
A community social program, or respite, is also available every month in several locations across the county. This program provides relief to those who care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia and offers them some time to refresh and recharge, while their loved one is engaged in social activities in a safe environment. These programs are free and have no residency requirements, but registration is required by calling the contacts for each site.
- Hartland United Methodist Church in Gasport will offer respite on the second Wednesday of every month beginning Oct. 10. Contact Beth Wheeler at 438-5569 for more information.
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Lewiston provides this service on the third Wednesday of each month.
Contact: Wayne Knockel at 880-0461.
- Trinity Lutheran Church in Lockport offers respite on the second Tuesday of each month. Contact: Laurie Bauch at 434-5982.
While these programs are all free to attend, pre-registration is encouraged to ensure there are enough materials and to relay any changes to the schedules. To reserve a seat and learn more information about any of these programs, contact the chapter office at 1-800-272-3900.