The 52nd annual Lewiston Art Festival took place over the weekend, with more than 175 top artists along Center Street, and future exhibitors on display via the high school KeyBank Chalk Walk competition and College Alley.
At a reception for sponsors and local dignitaries Saturday afternoon, "Seven Bird Bison" was awarded Best of Show. Matthew Retzlaff of Amherst created the impressive, intricately designed Buffalo-like sculpture.
Lewiston-Porter High School took top honors in the KeyBank Chalk Walk competition. Lew-Port team No. 3 won the Peoples' Choice Award and tied with Lew-Port team No. 2 for first prize. Lew-Port team No. 1 earned second place.
Niagara Falls High School team No. 1 took the Chairman's Choice Award, while NFHS team No. 3 took third place.
This year's theme was "Who Do You Think You Are?"
The full list of winners includes:
** = College Alley Student
Best of Show: Matthew Retzlaff, "Seven Bird Bison," metal sculpture
Photo by Joshua Maloni
(Photo by Wayne Peters)
Michael McMahon Memorial Award (Watercolor): Nikki Milley, "Water Lily"
- First: Kathleen Dworak, "Spring Ahead," watercolor
- Second: Barbara Rickard, "ICU Buffalo," oil
- Third: Jeff Lundgren, "Mountain Passage," oil
- Honorable Mention: Martha Kutas, "Lefty," watercolor
- First: James Hoggard, "Beech Branches"
- Second: Shawn Kosmala, "Shell"
- Third: Jeannine Swallow, "Frozen Puddle Fish"
- Honorable Mention: Emily Stauring, "Dawn of the Dead"
Graphic Arts & Drawing
- First: Joseph Necci, "All the Same Underneath," pastel
- Second: Chris Charles, "Daisy," lindeum block print
- Third: Jessica Gadra, "Tree Houses," pen and ink
- First: Connie Lavelle, "Humility," porcelain
- Second: Colleen Williams, "The Prize," porcelain
- Third: Mark English, "Sylvie," chrome
- Honorable Mention: Fred Janik, "Bud Vase ," wood
- First: Kathryn Nidy, "Contemporary Hand Weaving," clay
- Second: Suzanne Mair, "Granmother's Lily Pond," paper
- Third: Lori DeFazio, "The Hare Guitar," vintage guitar
- Honorable Mention: Daniel Dorociak, "Cottage By the River 2," stone, concrete, oak
Artistic craft: Jewelry
- First: Lisa Ballowe, "Busy Bees"
- Second: Mark Van de Bogart, "Tourmaline Treasure"
- Third: Jorien Brock, "Reversible Green & Blue Necklace"
- Honorable Mention: Bonnie Heddon, "Aurora Borealis"
Artistic Craft: other (glass, wood, fiber, ceramic, etc.)
- First: Michael Gotthelf, "Lidded Box," wood
- Second: Suzanne O'Brien, "Drift," felt
- Third: Elyse Wall**, "Carbon Element #6," porcelain
- Honorable Mention: Thomas Hooper, "Buffalo Revival," clay/horse hair
Best Booth Display Don Handley, No. 493
KeyBank Chalk Walk Competition
- First (Tie): Lewiston-Porter Team No. 2: Carly Bahringer, Cally Dolan, Lauryn Andrews
- Lewiston-Porter Team No. 3: Emily Dillon, Ryleigh Houston, Gracie Fideli
- Second: Lewiston-Porter Team No. 1: Isabella Wesser, Bailey Hoplight, Taylor Lannon
- Third: Niagara Falls High School Team No. 3: Nate Riely, Makaela Molly
- Peoples' Choice Award: Lewiston-Porter Team No. 3: Emily Dillon, Ryleigh Houston, Gracie Fideli
- Chairman's Choice: Niagara Falls High School Team No. 1: Monica Lodick, Amira Moore
Lewiston-Porter team No. 3. Artists: Emily Dillon, Ryleigh Houston, Grace Fideli.
Lewiston-Porter team No. 2. Artists: Carly Bahringer, Cally Dolan, Lauryn Andrews.
Peoples' Choice winner (Photo by Wayne Peters)
Chairman's Choice winner (Photo by Wayne Peters)
Second place (Photo by Wayne Peters)
Third place (Photo by Wayne Peters)
The Lewiston Art Festival was presented by the Lewiston Council on the Arts.
In addition to fine art, the event offered music, entertainment and a number of food vendors.