Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Greater Niagara area community invited to Christmas Eve service at historic church

Submitted

Thu, Dec 21st 2017 02:00 pm
The First Presbyterian Church of Lewiston will open its doors on Christmas Eve to all members of the Greater Niagara Community. The church, established on Jan. 20, 1817, is the oldest in the Village of Lewiston and celebrated its 200th anniversary this year.
Tours of The Old Stone Church, featuring a Victorian theme, were held during the recent Christmas Walk.
First Presbyterian Church played a significant spiritual role in many of the Village of Lewiston's most historic milestones. Of particular note was its place in the history surrounding the Underground Railroad. During this important Civil War period, a bright light was displayed in The Old Stone Church steeple; a signal to Canadian neighbors that slaves were about to be transported across the Niagara River to their shores and freedom.
All are welcome to attend the Christmas Eve service in The Old Stone Church starting at 5:40 p.m. with a choral and organ prelude before the worship service at 6 p.m. The Rev. Dr. Elizabeth Morgan will officiate with assistance from Robert Hull, a renowned Western New York organist, who serves as music director for the church.
The church is located at 505 Cayuga St. Parking is available in front of the church and in a large lot directly behind the building.

comments powered by Disqus