The local history department and the LaSalle Branch of the Niagara Falls Public Library will present a lecture on the 120th anniversary of the incorporation of the Village of LaSalle in the Town of Niagara. The event will take place at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, in the second floor meeting room of the LaSalle Library, 8728 Buffalo Ave. Teresa Lasher Winslow, an authority on the history of the former Village of LaSalle, will present a PowerPoint presentation.
LaSalle, once a part of the Town of Niagara, became an official village on Dec. 2, 1897. It was annexed into the City of Niagara Falls in 1927.
After the Adams Power Plant opened and the electro-chemical industries were built along the Niagara River, the section of LaSalle grew from a rural farming community to a suburban development. This was mostly due to the proximity and the easy commute made possible by the trolley on Main Street (now Buffalo Avenue).
Photos, maps, and city directory listings will all be used to tell the story.
The public and former residents of LaSalle are encouraged to attend and bring photographs or other memorabilia to share with attendees. The 2018 Historic LaSalle Legacy Photo Calendar will also be available.
For more information, call 716-425-4005 or 716-286-4894.