Since the beginning of the year, the Kenan Center in Lockport has been celebrating its 50th anniversary with special events. The biggest one planned for Saturday, July 8. That day will be a campuswide, family-friendly celebration called, "Happy Birthday, Kenan Community Day."
Co-chairing the Community Day Planning Committee are Selena Truax Morello (vice president of the Kenan Center board of governors) and Kenan Center Executive Director Susan Przybyl.
The day starts with a 5K run at 9 a.m. The run features a USATF-certified flat course through streets bordering the Kenan Center. Pre-registration is $25 now through July 7 online at itsyourrace.com. From July 5-8, registration is $30. Packet pick-up begins at 7:30 a.m. on July 8, along with registration for anyone who has not pre-registered. Runners will enjoy water, light snacks and awards immediately following.
More activities kick off at 11 a.m., beginning with special activities just for children outside the Kenan Arena. There will be arts and crafts, bubble fun, a kid's photo booth and a kid's dash. Parents can register their children at 11 a.m., with the dash at 11:30 a.m.
A bike, trike and wagon parade is planned for 3 p.m. Families are invited to decorate their wheels and meet for a parade around the concourse in front of the Kenan Arena. Families are asked to register at 2:30 p.m. Colorful ideas on how to decorate wheels can be found on a special Pinterest page that can be found on the Kenan Center's Community Day web page.
Across the campus, more activities will take place, with art exhibits and art-making, live music and food. Following is the schedule:
- 11 a.m.: Historian Margaret Truax
- 12:15 p.m.: Defiant Monkey Improv
- 1:45 p.m.: Singer Jackie Davis
- 3:30 p.m.: Puppeteer Doris Timkey
- 4:45 p.m.: Lockport Glee Club
- 5:45 p.m.: Singer Karen D'Angelo
Art Activities In The Taylor Theater Meeting Room
11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Images of Kenan photo exhibit
- Regan Intermediate School student exhibit, "Pour Paintings Inspired by Holton Rower"
- Paint a wine glass with artist Cassandra McFeely at 12:30-2:30 and 3:30-5:30 p.m. (Limited number per session.)
- Suduko charity quilt with the Kenan Quilters' Guild
Outdoor Music Stage:
- 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: North End Revival
- 2-3:30 p.m.: Dave Stockton & Pocket Change Trio
- 4-6:30 p.m.: Skiffle Minstrels
Kenan Center House Gallery
- Exhibit, "Masterworks: Watercolors from the Gerald Mead Collection," 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with collector Gerald Mead providing hourly tours at 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
Food & Beverages
- On hand will be Lloyd Taco Truck, Frank Gourmet Hot Dogs, Bad Ash BBQ, Kenan Lemonade Stand, Sweet Hearth, Pickle Annie's, Hens Honey Bee Farm, plus Woodcock Brothers beer and Niagara Wine Trail wineries (Schulze Winery & Vineyards, Midnight Run Wine Cellars and Flight of Five Winery). Purchase of alcoholic beverages requires photo ID proof of age.
- In the arena, individuals can sign up for pickleball tournaments. Revolution Training & Fitness Center will host an outdoor obstacle course on the north lawn of the Kenan Center grounds.
In addition, storytellers will be on hand throughout the day at the "Story Tree" located in the orchard on the east side of the arena; the Friends of the Kenan Herb Club will be on hand to provide tours and tastings in the herb garden; and plein air painters will be scattered throughout the grounds creating works of art on the spot. An art auction and other demonstrations are planned. Community Day wraps up with the cutting of a giant birthday cake at 6 p.m. at the Kenan Center Montessori preschool building.
Kenan Center shares the spotlight this weekend with two other local events: "Lockport in Bloom," which takes place July 8-9 and includes the Kenan gardens. Visitors can pick up maps at the center. It is also the city's celebration of the bicentennial of the start of the Erie Canal. A wide variety of activities are planned at the canal, ending with a concert by the Albany Symphony Orchestra and fireworks.
A free shuttle will run from the Canal Street gazebo from 1-6 p.m. so visitors can enjoy activities at both locations.
Parking at the Kenan Center will be open at 11:30 a.m., following the 5K run, with entry at Beattie Avenue only. Visitors are encouraged to use side street parking, as well as lots at the Lockport High School and the Lockport Board of Education Building.
A complete schedule along with parking information are available on the Community Day page of the Kenan Center website at kenancenter.org