Families can travel the world at Explore & More Children's Museum this spring break
Mon, Mar 21st 2016 10:55 am
Beginning today and running through Monday, March 28,
children and families can "Travel the World Around Buffalo" this spring break,
visiting a different area of the globe each day with fun, immersive activities
at Explore & More Children's Museum.
This family-fun week celebrates the diverse
immigrant cultures in Buffalo, and explores the traditions of native countries
through activities, performances, food and fun.
Destinations for this activity week include:
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Democratic Republic of Congo.
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Drumming and dance performance by
Eric Ansuade in the gym followed by a drumming workshop.
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Make your own spin drum, and
have fun with language activities featuring Swahili.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: India. Sample Indian food, create
a wood block animal print to take home, participate in making a cooperative mandala,
and learn the language of India through fun activities
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Yemen
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Watch a traditional Yemeni dance
performance in the gym.
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Sample Yemeni food from Rabia
and learn about each of the herbs used in traditional Yemeni cooking, dress up
in traditional Yemeni clothing, create your own stained glass art piece to take
home, practice writing in Arabic and learn some Arabic words.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Colombia.
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Watch a traditional Colombian dance
performance in the gym.
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Sample Colombian food, make a
mask for caranaval and learn Spanish from our Colombian friends.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Myanmar (Burma)
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Enjoy a traditional Burmese puppet
dance in the gym performed by Mon Chit Ko.
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Sample Burmese cuisine from
the West Side Bazaar, try thanaka paint with ma theint, enjoy crafting, and
make and take home your own sand painting inspired by the elephants of Myanmar
Visit the calendar on the museum website, www.exploreandmore.org, for updated
details on activities and performance times.
Celebrating its 22nd year in operation, Explore
& More Children's Museum provides an environment for creative play and
learning through hands-on exhibits, activities and programs that inspire
creativity, curiosity and imagination.
Explore & More Children's Museum is currently
located at 300 Gleed Ave., East Aurora. It will open in the south aud block at
Canalside on the Buffalo waterfront in late 2018. For more information, visit www.exploreandmore.org or call 716-655-5131.