Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Free breakfast and tobacco-free housing seminar for landlords scheduled in March at NCCC


Mon, Feb 22nd 2016 07:00 am

The Niagara County Department of Health Division of Environmental Health and Tobacco-Free Western New York of Roswell Park Cancer Institute have joined forces to encourage landlords to eliminate second-hand smoke and fires caused by smoking in housing units.

A free breakfast seminar is scheduled from 8-10:30 a.m. Friday, March 11, at Niagara County Community College, 3111 Saunders Settlement Road, Sanborn. It will take place in the Student Center, G Building, Floor 2, Room 211.

A range of experts will teach landlords how to create a safer, healthier environment legally, while saving money and reducing maintenance costs associated with smoking. The speaker panel includes Jonathan Schultz, Niagara County fire coordinator and director of emergency services; Daniel Corbett, J.D., esquire, fair housing attorney; Joan Spillman, director, Buffalo field office, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; Scott Russo, operations manager, Q & D Management Inc.; and Melissa Lask, manager of Forestview Senior Village, Calamar Inc.

Niagara County Public Health Director Daniel J. Stapleton enlisted the support of mayors, town supervisors and code enforcement officers in jurisdictions throughout Niagara County to attend this event, along with landlords.

"When the health and safety of their constituents are at stake, public officials as well as the public health director, share a concern about how we can work together to afford the best protection for the people at risk in our communities," Stapleton said. "Every time a child or other loved one dies needlessly from fire caused by smoking, everyone in the community shares the grief and regret over what could have been prevented. We are translating our collective hopes to prevent unnecessary disease, injury and death, into collaborative action to eliminate smoking in housing units. Most importantly, we are helping landlords protect their tenants, as well as the properties their renters call home."

"Smoking causes a number of health and safety problems to smokers and non-smokers who inhabit the same dwellings," public health educator Theresa McCabe said. "Breathing in smoke causes lung problems, heart conditions and cancer. Careless smoking in the home is also the No. 1 cause of death by fire.

"Landlords and officials, please join us at this important event in March."

Interested parties can RSVP by contacting Jenna Brinkworth at [email protected] or 716-875-1615; or McCabe, of the Niagara County Division of Environmental Health, Healthy Neighborhoods Program, at 716-439-7479.

comments powered by Disqus

Hometown News