Das Haus German Heritage Museum, 2549 Niagara Road, Bergholz, will have special hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. this Saturday and 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday when it participates in the annual "Binational Doors Open Niagara" program.
This year, the museums, private houses, churches and other buildings that will be open for free as part of Doors Open are limited to those structures that were built before 1900.
Das Haus, which was built in Bergholz in 1843, was probably reconstructed from a log building that had originally housed canal workers in Lockport. It is a garrison-style log house, which means that the wood was carefully shaped with angles and slopes that kept it together without pegs or nails. The roof, however, was built German-style.
The rest of the summer, Das Haus hours will be 2 to 4 p.m. Sundays or by reservation. Call 731-9905.
The 10th annual Binational Doors Open Niagara runs from June 15 to 17 with 35 heritage and garden site partners from Youngstown to Buffalo and Grimsby to Fort Erie, Canada, offering free admission and activities.
Among other Niagara County sites are the Lewiston Peace Garden, the McClew Interpretive Center at Murphy Orchards, the Niagara County Historical Society Campus, the North Tonawanda History Museum, Town of Porter Museum/Youngstown Red Brick School and Youngstown Peace Garden.
For complete details and a list of sites, go to www.doorsopenniagara.com.