Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Close to 7,000 take part in Susan G. Komen WNY Race for the Cure

by jmaloni
Mon, Jun 11th 2012 07:00 am

More than $500,000 raised in the fight against breast cancer

The scene around Delaware Park was a sea of pink Saturday as close to 7,000 participated in this year's Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure. Teams of runners and walkers have raised more than $500,000 to date in the fight against breast cancer, with more donations expected as additional fundraising continues.

This 5K run/walk is an annual celebration of survivorship and a time to remember those who lost their lives to breast cancer.

"Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the largest grassroots organization fighting breast cancer today. The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen truly makes an impact in this community, not only on race day, but all year round with the funds raised by the runners and walkers in this race," said Colleen Nossavage, board president for the Western New York affiliate of Susan G. Komen.

Up to 75 percent of the proceeds from the race will remain in the Western New York community to fund projects related to breast health education and breast cancer screening. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds will support the Susan G. Komen research grant program, which funds ground-breaking breast cancer research.

The Komen WNY Race is presented locally by the WNY Ford Dealers and WGRZ-TV. Over the past 12 years, the Komen WNY Affiliate has raised over $3.9 million to help save lives and end breast cancer forever.

For more information about the Komen WNY Race for the Cure, visitwww.komenwny.org or call 716-332-2481.

comments powered by Disqus

Hometown News