Fabio, Tony Hawk, Clay Aiken, Olivia Newton-John, Bret Michaels, Margaret Cho & many more set to join mission to 'Make America Bait Again!'
Pack your passport and grab a chainsaw, because "Sharknado" is going global! Taking the world - and unsuspecting celebrities - by storm, the movie event of the century blows into town this summer, and now, SYFY and The Asylum have revealed its chilling title: "Sharknado 5: Global Swarming." The latest installment in the hit pop culture franchise premieres on SYFY Sunday, Aug. 6 (8 p.m. ET), and will air in more than 100 countries.
"Sharknado 5: Global Swarming" and the film's official tagline, "Make America Bait Again!," are the result of a fan-sourced social initiative launched this April. Calling on fans for inspiration, Syfy invited Facebook users to submit their most creative and outrageous ideas via an interactive bot.
In "Sharknado 5: Global Swarming," the mission gets personal for Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his bionic wife, April (Tara Reid), when their young son gets trapped in a traveling 'nado and transported all over the world. From London to Rio, Tokyo, Rome, Amsterdam and beyond, the globetrotting heroes will seek assistance from a highly skilled squad of royals, scholars and Olympians, enlisting famous faces from news, entertainment and sports in their most epic battle yet.
Cameos announced include:
- Fabio as the pope
- Tony Hawk as a masterful weapons operative strategist
- Clay Aiken as Llewelyn, a cutting-edge technology genius
- Olivia Newton-John and daughter Chloe Lattanzi as Orion and Electra, two brilliant scientists who help defend Australia from a looming Sharknado
- Bret Michaels as a visiting artist that gets trapped in the storm
- Margaret Cho as a fussy bride whose honeymoon is interrupted by sharks
- Charo as the queen of England
- Gilbert Gottfried as stormchaser Ron McDonald
- "Today" hosts Al Roker, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb as themselves
- Olympic diving medalists Greg Louganis as Zico, a high-end art thief, and Tom Daley as himself
- Olympic freeskiing medalist Gus Kenworthy and NBC News investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen as themselves
- Porsha Williams ("The Real Housewives of Atlanta") as Andromeda, an archeologist and member of the elite "Sharknado Sisterhood"
- Tiffany "New York" Pollard ("Flavor of Love") as Vega, a Brazilian black market artifacts dealer
- Chris Kattan ("Saturday Night Live") as The Prime Minister of England
- Cat Greenleaf ("Talk Stoop") and Dan Fogler ("Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them") as themselves
- Ross Mullan ("Game of Thrones" White Walker) as Dr. Wobbegon, a scientist who has made breakthroughs in meteorological studies to track Sharknado storms
Also reprising their roles from previous installments are Cassie Scerbo, Masiela Lusha and Cody Linley.
"Sharknado 5: Global Swarming," a production of The Asylum, is directed by Anthony C. Ferrante based on an original screenplay by Scotty Mullen.