Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Grand Island Fire Co.: Multiple emergencies occur during power outage

•Taken from the Aug. 21 Island Dispatch

Fri, Aug 21st 2015 11:05 am

Ray Pauley

Public Information Officer

Grand Island Fire Co.

Fire Chief Matt Osinski reported that Grand Island Fire Co. firefighters and medics handled several emergency incidents during a major power outage affecting approximately 3,858 National Grid customers Tuesday, Aug. 18.

•At 9:19 p.m., Grand Island firefighters responded to a report of an odor of smoke in the building at the ThermoFisher Corp. on Staley Road. An interior search of the premises disclosed no fire hazard and plant electricians were called in to investigate further.

•At 9:36 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the building at Starline USA on Alt Boulevard. Main electrical breakers were shut down and maintenance personnel were to follow up when the origin of light smoke could not be determined.

•At 9:52 p.m., a carbon monoxide report at a Laurie Lane home was traced to a defective detector. Two occupants were evaluated but did not require hospitalization.

•At 9:57 p.m., GIFC rescue personnel responded to a report of a man trapped in an elevator at the Byblos Niagara Resort & Spa on East River Road. The guest was freed without injury.

•At 10:33 p.m., a police emergency request was resolved when a West River Road medical patient was evaluated and transported by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center for additional treatment.

•At 11:05 p.m., a Brandywine resident's medical alarm was accidently tripped and no services were required.

•At 11:23 p.m., a Long Road resident fell in their home but refused treatment.

Osinski noted that manpower demands were further complicated by nonfunctioning traffic signals, which impacted emergency equipment response. Nevertheless, all incidents were fully covered by trained personnel, he stressed.

comments powered by Disqus