Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Sister Bernadette Miller appointed to help Niagara University's service programs

Submitted

Tue, Apr 5th 2016 11:50 am

A member of the Daughters of Charity Province of St. Louise has been assigned to Niagara University to extend her ministry and service to Niagara Falls and the campus community.

Sister Bernadette Miller, D.C., an alumna of Niagara University, will work closely with the Rev. Joseph L. Levesque, C.M. Institute for Civic Engagement to develop and implement educational pathways to reduce the achievement gap.

"We are extremely excited to welcome Sister Bernadette to Western New York and our university community," said the Rev. James J. Maher, C.M., president of Niagara University. "Sister Bernadette's presence is a living example of the collaboration between St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac.

"How fitting in the 'Holy Year of Mercy' called for by Pope Francis that we are gifted with a member of St. Louise's company to advance our Catholic and Vincentian mission, and serve people living in poverty. I am deeply grateful to Sister Louise Gallahue and her council for sending us Sister Bernadette."

Sister Bernadette most recently served as principal for The DePaul Catholic School in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. She was previously appointed secretary to the superioress general of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul in Paris. During her tenure as secretary, Sister Bernadette handled English-speaking translation for the U.S. and Australian communities, served as a translator for non-English-speaking visitors to the Mother House, and also served on several steering committees for planning events and other major celebrations. Additionally, Sister Bernadette served as a campus minister for St. John's University at its Paris campus.

Sister Bernadette holds a bachelor's degree in elementary education from Southwest Missouri State University. She has also earned master's degrees in religious education from Loyola University, and educational administration from Niagara University.

The Daughters of Charity, co-founded in 1633 by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac, are a community of women who devote their lives to serving the poorest and most abandoned individuals in today's society. There are presently about 16,000 Daughters of Charity living and working in more than 90 countries throughout the world.

Niagara University, founded by the Vincentians in 1856, currently has eight Vincentian priests and one brother living and ministering on its campus, including its president, president emeritus and vice president for university mission and ministry.

To learn more about Niagara University, visit www.niagara.edu. Additional information on the Levesque Institute is available at http://levesqueinstitute.niagara.edu.

comments powered by Disqus