Tue, Sep 22nd 2015 02:10 pm
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced Monday
the New York State Board for Historic Preservation recommended the addition of
27 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of
Historic Places. The nominations reflect the breadth of New York's history,
ranging from an Oswego fort that sheltered Holocaust refugees to the nation's
first outdoor bank teller window to the only remaining historic carousel on
"These sites are the locations of
significant moments in New York's rich history that, in many cases,
reverberated across the nation and beyond," Cuomo said. "By placing these
landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places, we are
honoring and preserving their legacy and giving visitors the chance to learn
about this state's vibrant history."
"Congratulations to the owners and
caretakers for this important recognition," said Rose Harvey, commissioner of
the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. "Listing these
27 places on the State and National Registers will help us to better preserve,
appreciate and understand New York's profound history."
State and National Register listing can
assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for
various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state
grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
Spurred by the state and federal
historic rehabilitation commercial tax credits administered by the State
Historic Preservation Office, developers invested $500 million statewide in
2014 to revitalize properties listed on the National Register of Historic
Places, while homeowners using the state historic homeowner rehabilitation tax
credit invested more than $9.8 million statewide on home improvements to help
revitalize historic neighborhoods.
The State and National Registers are
the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and
sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New
York and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures
and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic
Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners,
municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state
sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved
by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the
New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National
Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved,
entered on the National Register.
Those recognized included:
- The Great Atlantic
& Pacific Tea Company (A&P) Warehouse, Buffalo - Completed in 1917,
the reinforced concrete warehouse served A&P, the largest retail grocer in
the U.S. for much of the 20th century.
- Parkside Candy Shoppe
and Factory, Buffalo - Built between 1925 and 1928, the store and factory complex
is a good representative example of the type of independent candy store and
candy manufacturer that frequently existed in American cities.
- Sinclair, Rooney
& Co. Building, Buffalo - Constructed in 1909 for the wholesale
milliner, it was designed to be flexible for the changing needs of light
industrial work and later occupied by Remington Rand Inc., sellers of office
supply and technology.
Presbyterian Church, Buffalo - The church was constructed with an
uncommon V-shaped plan erected in two phases: the original 1927 sanctuary wing
aligned along Niagara Falls Boulevard, and the 1955 education wing oriented
along Main Street.
- Mount St. Mary's
Hospital, Lewiston -
The Sisters of St. Francis constructed the Neoclassical Revival style
large-scale hospital in 1912-14, when their smaller 30-bed hospital could no
longer accommodate the growing demand.
Assemblyman John Ceretto said, "The New
York State Board for Historic Preservation's recommendation that Mount St.
Mary's Hospital be added to the state and national Registers of Historic Places
is an important step in preserving an institution that has served our community
for more than a century. Mount St.
Mary's is an essential part of our community, offering vital medical services
and providing quality, local health care for Niagara County residents.
"When it comes to your health, time is of
the essence, and protecting health providers in our community is always a top
priority. When buildings and institutions are listed on the state and national
registers, they are eligible for public preservation grants and tax credits.
This assistance would help Mount St. Mary's Hospital continue serving the
community and preserve an invaluable local health care provider."
Among the others:
- Charles Chauncey
Dwight House, Auburn - Originally built in 1835, the Queen Anne style house was
expanded circa 1871 by Charles Chauncey Dwight, a prominent judge best known
for deciding a case regarding the constitutionality of using electrocution as a
means of criminal execution.
- Congregation Ahavis
Achim Anshi Austria, Rochester - Now known as the Congregation B'Nai
Israel synagogue, the 1928 Georgian Revival structure is significant for its
association with Jewish immigrants, mostly from Austria, who settled in
northeast Rochester in the early 20th century.
- House at 288
Wimbledon Road, Irondequoit - The 1928 Tudor Revival home is
significant in the development of Wimbledon Road (Rogers Estates Subdivision),
which was planned and developed by Fred B. Tosch, who recognized the value of
the model home as a marketing tool and embraced it as a new way of attracting
New York County
- Hudson View Gardens,
New York - Erected
in 1923-24, the Tudor Revival apartment house complex contained many of the
amenities expected in a suburban home, designed to appeal to those middle-class
people who were considering a move from the city.
- Fort Ontario Military
Reservation, Oswego -
The nomination expands and replaces an earlier National Register listing to
obtain a more accurate and inclusive boundary more reflective of the fort's
military history. The new nomination also adds national significance for the
fort's history as the site of the only refugee camp in the U.S. for victims of
the Holocaust and World War II. From 1944-46, Fort Ontario was a temporary
emergency refugee shelter operated by the U.S. War Relocation Authority. The
shelter helped the refugees regain their health and move forward with their
lives after the horrors of war, which, for many, included time in concentration
camps. Most of the refuges eventually became American citizens.
- Shepard Family
Houses, Skaneateles -
The two houses belonged to prominent local businessmen and civic leaders. The
house at 28 Genesee St., originally built in 1840, was purchased and enlarged
by Norman Orlando Shepard in 1898. The house at 6 Hannum St., was constructed
in 1901 by the elder Shepard as a wedding present for his son, Norman Joseph
- Jacob H. Patten
House, Lansingburgh -
Constructed in 1881-82, the brick Italianate-style townhouse and large carriage
house was built for Jacob H. Patten, a Troy blacksmith, and reflects the
tradesman's ambition and early economic success.
- Wilbur, Campbell,
Stephens Co. Factory, Troy - Constructed in 1899, the building is
among five other intact former textile factories erected along the prominent
River Street corridor as a result of the burgeoning local detached cuff and