Thu, Apr 2nd 2015 12:00 pm
Friday, April 3, and running through Friday, April 10, children and families
can travel the world around buffalo this spring break, visiting a different
area of the globe each day at Explore & More Children's Museum.
"family fun week" celebrates the diverse immigrant cultures in Buffalo, and
explores the traditions of their native countries through activities,
performances, food and fun.
for this activity week include (all run from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.):
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Myanmar musicians and Mon Chit Ko doing the Burmese
- 11:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.: Samples of Burmese food from Sun Restaurant;
try traditional face-painting with West Side Bazaar shop owner Ma Theint; make
a paper puppet of the traditional Burmese White Horse
Monday, April 6
- 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.: Sample Polish foods; do Polish wycinanki
(paper cutting) with artist Barbara Frackiewicz; create your own Polish doll
with dollmaker Kathleen Rumfola
- 2 until 3 p.m.: Dancers with the Harmony Polish Folk Ensemble
in the gym
- Sample Polish foods; do Polish wycinanki with artist Barbara
Frackiewicz; create your own Polish doll with dollmaker Kathleen Rumfola.
- Sample Ethiopian injera and savory foods; make a clay bowl reminiscent
of Ethiopian clay bowls
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Dancers from the ACCESS Arab language program in the
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Sample Yemeni sambosa, desserts and tea; watch
henna designs being created, and draw some yourself; learn to write your name
in Arabic; Hijab traditions with representatives from WNYMuslims.
Friday, April 10
- 11-11:30 a.m.: MarCe Zerrate and dancers from Amor and Heritage Inc.
in the gym
- 11:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.: Sample Puerto Rican pastelillos and
cake/bizcocho; work on a collaborative art project representing Puerto Rico; make
your own picture frame in the colors of the Puerto Rican flag.
Visit the museum website, www.exploreandmore.org, for details on
activities and performance times.
Celebrating its 21st year in
operation, Explore & More Children's
Museum provides an environment for creative play and learning through hands-on
exhibits, activities and programs that inspire creativity, curiosity and
Explore & More Children's Museum is currently located at 300 Gleed
Ave., East Aurora. It will open in the South Aud Block at Canalside on the
Buffalo waterfront in late 2016. For more information, visit www.exploreandmore.org or call 716-655-5131.