Cornell Bhangra wins 'Today's Got Talent' contest, joins top 48 acts on 'America's Got Talent'by jmaloni
Electric violinist Lindsey Stirling featuring Lzzy Hale to perform on Aug. 6 results show
The votes are in! Cornell Bhangra, a dance group based in Ithaca, won the "Today's Got Talent" contest, announced earlier this week by "Today" anchors Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie. The act will join the quarterfinal rounds on "AGT" and perform live Tuesday, Aug. 12, for the chance to win the $1 million prize.
Founded in 1997, Cornell Bhangra has become one of the best-known Bhangra dance teams worldwide, winning back-to-back championships at the World's Best Bhangra competition. The team consists of Cornell University students from different backgrounds and fields of study, including engineering, economics, biology, chemistry, dance studies and hotel administration. While they all have different academic interests, their passion for Bhangra unites the group.
For more information, visit www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/cornell-bhangra. Watch their winning performance on "Today" at www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/55705738#55705738
Next week, "America's Got Talent" continues the quarterfinal rounds on Tuesday, Aug. 5 (9 p.m.), when 12 more of the top 48 acts perform live for America's vote. Five of those acts will move on to the semifinals to compete against Baila Conmigo, Dan Naturman, David and Leeman, Emily West and Miguel Dakota.
The Aug. 6 results show (9 p.m.) will feature a performance by electric violinist Lindsey Stirling performing her hit single "Shatter Me," featuring Lzzy Hale from the Grammy award-winning band Halestorm.
Stirling has dazzled the music industry with more than half a billion views on her YouTube channel, Billboard chart-topping hits and soldout tours worldwide since she first appeared on "America's Got Talent" in 2010. A classically trained violinist from Gilbert, Arizona, her recently released sophomore album, "Shatter Me," debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
Stirling's self-titled debut album earned her a 2014 Billboard Music Award nomination for "Top Dance/Electronic Album." It has sold more than 300,000 copies in the U.S. without the backing of a major label, and has gone platinum in Germany and gold in Poland and Switzerland. For more information, visit www.lindseystirling.com.
The 12 contestants performing on Tuesday are:
- ACTE II http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/acte-ii
- Aerial Animation http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/aerial-animation
- Andrey Moraru http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/andrey-moraru
- Darik Santos http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/darik-santos
- Hart Dance Team http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/hart-dance-team
- Jaycob Curlee http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/jaycob-curlee
- John & Andrew http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/john-andrew
- Juan Carlos http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/juan-carlos
- Livy, Matt & Sammy http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/livy-matt-sammy
- Loop Rawlins http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/loop-rawlins
- Mara Justine http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/mara-justine
- Mat Franco http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9/mat-franco
More information, including bios and social media contacts for each act, can be found at www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9
Fans can visit the official show site at http://www.nbc.com/agt.
Cornell Bhangra (NBC photo)