Niagara History Center: 'History on Wheels' spring bus trip to visit historic sites in Buffaloby jmaloni
The History Center of Niagara is taking reservations for its 2014 spring bus trip, which will be held Saturday, June 7. The daylong bus tour, running from approximately 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., will feature visits and views of some of Buffalo's most historic places.
Leaving from Lockport in the morning, the bus will take guests directly to the Buffalo History Museum for a tour, a look at the newest exhibits (the War of 1812 and Native Americans), and a visit to the museum shop.
Guests will enjoy a select lunch (included in the ticket price) in the Lafayette Hotel's Pan-American Grill & Brewery. Afterward, participants will be given a special tour of the historic hotel.
The afternoon will begin with a tour of the Katherine Pratt Horton House on Delaware Avenue, an example of one of the few row houses ever to be built in Buffalo, which features a full-length portrait of Mrs. Horton by Raphael Beck of Lockport. Ann Marie Linnabery, the History Center's education coordinator, will complete the afternoon by narrating a driving tour of many historic spots in the downtown, Allentown and Delaware Avenue areas, featuring such sites as the Coit House (Buffalo's oldest house); the circa 1833 Unitarian Church (Millard Fillmore's church); and the site of President William McKinley's assassination.
Seats on the spring bus trip are available at the History Center's Museum Complex at 215 Niagara St., Lockport, or by calling 716-434-7433. The trip often sells out, so interested persons are encouraged to book their seats as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Tickets are $70 each ($65 for NCHS members), which includes the bus ride, all admissions and lunch.
The History Center of Niagara is operated by the Niagara County Historical Society, and includes the five-building Museum Complex, the Erie Canal Discovery Center, and the Col. William Bond/Jesse Hawley House.