LaSalle PRIDE Inc. will present a lecture on Griffon Manor at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 3, in the second floor meeting room of the LaSalle Library, 8728 Buffalo Ave.
Teresa Lasher Winslow, an authority on the history of the former Village of LaSalle, will present a power point presentation of the housing that was built for workers for the Bell Aerospace Company during World War II.
LaSalle, once a part of the Town of Niagara, became an official village in 1897, until it was annexed into the City of Niagara Falls in 1927. During the time of World War II, many people came to the city to work in the electro-chemical industries to support the war effort. One of the other premier companies was Bell Aerospace, the leader in aircraft and other aviation efforts. Griffon Manor was mainly constructed for workers of Bell beginning in 1942 between 93rd and 96th streets on the west and east and Bergholz Creek and Frontier Avenue on the north and south.
After the war, Griffon Manor became a public housing project. The original 1942 buildings were replaced during the urban renewal projects of the 1970s. These later buildings were demolished during the remediation of the Love Canal in the 1980s. Today, a senior housing complex is located on the site.
The public and former residents of Griffon Manor or Bell Aerospace are encouraged to attend and bring photographs and other memorabilia, which can be scanned and returned to the owners.
For more information, call 716-283-3295 or 716-425-4005.