Calling all 'Psych-Os!': 'Psych The Musical' premieres Sunday, Dec. 15by jmaloni
Two-hour special musical event features Santa Barbara's finest singing and dancing along with special guest stars ally Sheedy, Tony-winner Barry Bostwick, Anthony Rapp, Brooke Lyons and Jimmi Simpson
On Sunday, Dec. 15, USA Network's hit series "Psych" presents a spectacular two-hour musical special, "Psych The Musical." Fans have been waiting years for this musical extravaganza that will have everyone's favorite faux psychic, his best friend and the Santa Barbara Police Department's finest all kicking up their heels and singing 14 original songs.
In the special, Shawn (James Roday) and Gus (Dulé Hill) dive into a world that's equal parts mystery and melody. The duo must track down playwright and mad man, Z (guest star Anthony Rapp, "Rent"), who six years earlier was deemed criminally insane after trapping a critic in the theater and burning it to the ground. With little to go on, they are forced to consult with the one person Z confided in while institutionalized - a dangerous and familiar villain from Shawn's past. Their informant uses songs and cryptic clues to reveal Z's next steps.
"Psych" creator/executive producer Steve Franks wrote and directed "Psych The Musical," and, along with music composer Adam Cohen, co-wrote the 14 original songs and reprises. The music and lyrics were recorded in part on the iconic Sinatra stage at Capital Records in Los Angeles. In addition to Rapp, guest stars include Ally Sheedy ("The Breakfast Club") who returns as the infamous Mr. Yang, Tony Award winner Barry Bostwick ("Cougar Town"), Brooke Lyons ("2 Broke Girls") and Jimmi Simpson ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") plus Kurt Fuller ("Midnight in Paris") who recurs as Woody the coroner.
Below is a full list of the songs featured in the episode:
- "Santa Barbara Skies" - James Roday/Dulé Hill
- "Z's Lament" - Anthony Rapp
- "I've Heard it Both Ways" - Roday/Tim Omundson/Maggie Lawson
- "Yang's Xmas" - Ally Sheedy
- "Making Up a Song" - Roday/Hill/Omundson/Lawson/Sheedy
- "Often It's the Opposite Pt. 1" - Kurt Fuller
- "Often It's the Opposite Pt. 2" -Fuller
- "I Hurt No One" - Roday/Rapp
- "I've Heard It Both Ways Reprise 1" - Omundson
- "Santa Barbara Skies Reprise" - Omundson/Lawson/Kirsten Nelson
- "I've Heard It Both Ways Reprise 2" - Roday/Omundson/Lawson
- "Yang's Death" - Jimmi Simpson/Sheedy
- "Shawn's Breakdown" - Roday/Rapp
- "Gus in the Spotlight" - Hill
- "Z's Surrender" - Rapp
- "Jamaican Inspector" - Hill