Town of Niagara's lending library openby jmaloni
The Town of Niagara Historical Society has opened its lending library for schoolchildren.
Behind the 1878 one-room schoolroom on the corner of Lockport and Tuscarora roads is a large mailbox filled with books; parents and grandparents can simply pull into the parking area and let the children walk to the mailbox to select a book or two to read.
There is no card to sign; readers simply return a book when they are done. Getting and returning books can be done at any time.
Books range from those on local history (Niagara daredevils, Fort Niagara, Native Americans), the history of our nation ("If You Were a Pioneer on the Prairie"), local authors (Margaret Goff Clark, Helen Fuller Orton, illustrator Erwin Printup Jr.), and science ("Why Do Feet Smell?).
Two historical society members remember how their mother, Anna Naradowski, would buy books and read to them when they were children. Memorial donations made to the society in Mrs. Naradowski's name were used to buy some of these books for the lending library. Members hope that their love for reading will be passed on, with parents and grandparents reading aloud to children as well as children reading to their family members.
The historical society will also accept suitable donations of children's books from the community.