Town of Niagara Historical Society: One-room schoolhouse offers special exhibitby jmaloni
The Town of Niagara Historical Society will open its 1878 one-room schoolhouse for the season on Father's Day, Sunday, June 16, with a special exhibit that focuses on men in the community.
A red, white and blue quilt top from the 1940s, embroidered with names and branch of service of more than 100 community members who fought in World War II will be on display. The exhibit also recognizes the self-sacrifice of Air Force 1st Lt. Garland Flint, who crashed his malfunctioning plane rather than risk injuring children at a nearby school. A case of medals earned by John Miozga, who served in the Army for 22 years in Germany, Korea and Vietnam will be shown.
The exhibit also recognizes Harry and Harold Britton, local men who worked for Bell Aircraft and Boeing, and helped develop the Bomarc, Minuteman and Saturn missiles. The schoolhouse, located on the corner of Lockport and Tuscarora roads, is open every Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. Activities are available for children. There is no admission charge.