More than 5,500 take part in Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cureby jmaloni
Runners raised more than $430,000 for the fight against breast cancer
The scene around Delaware Park was a sea of pink Saturday as more than 5,500 participated in this year's Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure. Teams of runners and walkers raised more than $430,000 to date in the fight against breast cancer, with more donations expected as additional fundraising continues.
This 5K run/walk is an annual celebration of survivorship and a time to remember those who have lost their lives to breast cancer.
"The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen is so grateful for the support for this year's Race for the Cure. Our dedicated fund raisers, sponsors, volunteers and participants help make funding Komen's programs possible," said Executive Director Juliana Janson.
Up to 75 percent of the proceeds from the race will remain in the Western New York community to fund projects related to breast health education and breast cancer screening. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds will support the Komen National Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.
The Komen WNY Race is presented locally by the WNY Ford Dealers and WGRZ. Over the past 13 years, the Komen WNY Affiliate has raised more than $3.9 million to help save lives and end breast cancer forever.
For more information about the Komen WNY Race for the Cure, visit www.komenwny.org or call 716-332-2481.