Work progressing at Lewiston No. 1by jmaloni
Work continues on a massive addition and renovation at the Lewiston Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 main station in the Village of Lewiston. A small amount of work on the outside remains, along with landscaping to make the exterior blend into the surrounding area.
On the second floor, a remodeled social/banquet hall is complete and will be available to area residents. The new truck bays will be open for all the equipment next week and include a locker area separate from the apparatus for firefighters to ready for their calls.
There is also a special area for the fire company's parade truck, a 1937 Ward LaFrance that will have glass walls for viewing (and to protect the vehicle).
While contractors did the majority of the building of the new facility, volunteer firefighters from Lewiston No. 1 did the majority of the demolition work themselves, saving an estimated $100,000.
Look for a grand opening celebration later in the summer.
Lewiston Fire Co. No. 1 was established in 1914 and will celebrate its 100th year anniversary next year.