On your mark. Get set. Bake! CBS announces 10 amateur bakers in new reality series 'The American Baking Competition'by jmaloni
Series will be hosted by comedian Jeff Foxworthy and judged by accomplished chef Marcela Valladolid and Paul Hollywood, star baker and current judge of the UK series
CBS has announced the 10 amateur bakers who will compete in the new reality series "The American Baking Competition," which premieres Wednesday, May 29 (8 p.m.), on the CBS Television Network.
"The American Baking Competition" is based on the hit UK format-turned-worldwide-phenomenon "The Great British Bake Off." The series has been a UK sensation and ratings juggernaut for three seasons and has also become a global hit in Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Poland, with other countries set to adapt the series. The American series will be hosted by comedian Jeff Foxworthy (@foxoutdoors) and judged by accomplished chef Marcela Valladolid (@chefmarcela) and star baker Paul Hollywood (@Hollywoodbaker), who is also a judge on the British series.
The 10 bakers were chosen from a nationwide search of amateur bakers at local casting bake-offs. Proving the joy of baking's broad appeal, the six female and four male home bakers have varied lives and jobs, including a firefighter, photographer, homemaker, attorney, advertiser, home health care provider, college student, retiree, project manager and a baking enthusiast trying to go pro.
Each week, "The American Baking Competition" will feature these passionate home bakers competing in three unique challenges - "Signature Bake," "Technical Bake" and "Showstopper Bake." The contestant who out-bakes the rest is that week's "Star Baker," while the one whose creations fail to impress is eliminated. The final challenge will be between the three remaining contestants, one of whom will go on to be crowned the best amateur baker in America and win the $250,000 grand prize. The winner will also be awarded a publishing contract with Simon & Schuster to publish their own cookbook with Gallery Books.
The confirmed bakers on "The American Baking Competition" are:
Name: Whitney Appleton Beery
- Age: 21
- Current Residence: Lubbock, Texas
- (Originally from Castle Rock, Colo.)
- Occupation: College student
- Baking Specialties: Cupcakes, cakes and scones
Name: James Reddick
- Age: 26
- Current Residence: Hollywood
- (Originally from Indianapolis)
- Baking Specialties: Pies, cookies and pastries
Name: Francine Bryson
- Age: 44
- Current Residence: Pickens, S.C.
- Baking Specialties: Pies, cakes and quiche
Name: Jeremy Cross
- Age: 35
- Current Residence: San Diego
- Occupation: Firefighter
- Baking Specialties: Cookies, cakes and pies
Name: Darlene Pawlukowsky
- Age: 51
- Current Residence: Johns Creek, Ga.
- Occupation: Project manager
- Baking Specialties: Cakes and cookies
Name: Elaine Francisco
- Age: 63
- Current Residence: Claremont, Calif.
- Occupation: Retired
- Baking Specialties: Breads, pies and cakes
Name: Brian Emmett
- Age: 43
- Current Residence: Itasca, Ill.
- (Originally from Glendale Heights, Ill.)
- Occupation: Owner of a marketing/advertising company
- Baking Specialties: Breads, pies, cookies, savory baked goods and pastries
Name: Kolette Biddle
- Age: 30
- Current Residence: Norco, Calif.
- Occupation: Home health care provider
- Baking Specialties: Cookies, pies, cakes and tarts
Name: Carlo Fuda
- Age: 35
- Current Residence: Stamford, Conn.
- (Originally from Elwood City, Pa.)
- Occupation: Social marketing consultant
- Baking Specialties: Zeppole, cheesecake and cupcakes
Name: Effie D. Sahihi
- Current Residence: Henderson, Tenn.
- (Born in Israel and raised in Winter Haven, Fla.)
- Occupation: Attorney
- Baking Specialties: Cakes, tarts and breads
- Official CBS Website: http://www.cbs.com/shows/american-baking-competition
- Official Twitter: @BakeOnCBS
- CBS Twitter: @CBSTweet
Cast on Twitter:
- Jeff Foxworthy @foxoutdoors
- Paul Hollywood @Hollywoodbaker
- Marcella Valladolid @chefmarcela