'American Idol' reveals top 40 semifinalistsby jmaloni
Vegas-set rounds split guys and girls into groups of 10; judges eliminate five semifinalists each night
Top 20 announced Thursday, Feb. 28
The "American Idol" auditions came to a conclusion Thursday as the judges' semifinalists picks were revealed. After intense deliberations, Mariah, Randy, Nicki and Keith chose the Top 40 contestants, who will now head to Las Vegas to perform on the stage of Cirque du Soleil's Beatles LOVE Theatre at The Mirage.
The Vegas move is a new twist in the competition, during which the Top 40 once again will be split by gender. On Wednesday, Feb. 20 (8 p.m.), and continuing Thursday, Feb. 21 (8 p.m.), Wednesday, Feb. 27 (8 p.m.), and Thursday, Feb. 28 (8 p.m.), 10 semifinalists will perform each night - girls on Wednesdays and guys on Thursdays. Each night, the judges will be faced with the tough decision of choosing which five will stay and which five will be sent home. At the end of the first stage of the semifinals, only 20 contestants will remain.
Top 20 girls include:
- Melinda Ademi/19/Yonkers
- Janelle Arthur/23/Oliver Springs, Tenn.
- Juliana Chahayed/15/Woodland Hills, Calif.
- Cristabel Clack/29/San Antonio
- Aubrey Cleland/19/West Linn, Ore.
- Candice Glover/23/St. Helena Island, S.C.
- Rachel Hale/21/Prescott, Ark.
- Kree Harrison/22/Nashville, Tenn.
- Jett Hermano/25/Seattle
- Amber Holcomb/18/Houston
- Brandy Hotard/26/Port Allen, La.
- Isabelle/22/Duluth, Ga.
- Zoanette Johnson/20/Tulsa, Okla.
- Adriana Latonio/17/Anchorage, Alaska
- Angela Miller/18/Beverly, Mass.
- Kamaria Ousley/29/Oakland
- Breanna Steer/18/Laplace, La.
- Tenna Torres/28/Queens
- Shubha Vedula/17/Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
Jenny Beth Willis/17/Owensboro, Ky.
Top 20 guys include:
- Lazaro Arbos/21/Naples, Fla.
- Charlie Askew/17/Little Rock, Ark.
- Nick Boddington/27/Memphis
- Curtis Finch Jr./24/St. Louis
- Kevin Harris/28/Montgomery, Ala.
- Josh Holiday/24/Celeste, Texas
- Paul Jolley/22/Palmersville, Tenn.
- Johnny Keyser/24/Pompano Beach, Fla.
- Elijah Liu/18/Rowland Heights, Calif.
- Vincent Powell/29/Austin, Texas
- Cortez Shaw/21/Dallas
- Gurpreet Singh Sarin/22/North Potomac, Md.
- Jimmy Smith/25/Waynesboro, Tenn.
- Bryant Tadeo/23/Hilo, Hawaii
- Burnell Taylor/19/New Orleans
- Mathenee Treco/26 Aurora, Colo.
- Devin Velez/18 Chicago
- Chris Watson/25/Fords, N.J.
- David Willis/21/Mount Dora, Fla.
Then, it's up to viewers to vote for who will advance to the finals and who will go home, during a special three-night "American Idol" event. In the season's first live show, airing on a special night, Tuesday, March 5 (8 p.m.), the first group of 10 semifinalists will perform live from Las Vegas for America's vote. On Wednesday, March 6 (8 p.m.), the second group of 10 semifinalists will perform live. On a super-sized, 90-minute episode airing Thursday, March 7 (8 p.m.), America's vote and the "American Idol" finalists will be announced live from Los Angeles.
Visitwww.americanidol.com for interviews with the Top 40, as well as additional "American Idol" news.
"Like" "American Idol" on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanIdol. Follow the series on Twitter @AmericanIdol and join the discussion at #idol. Also, follow host Ryan Seacrest at@RyanSeacrest, and follow the judges:@MariahCarey,@yo_randyjackson,@nickiminaj and @keithurban.