Grand Island Fire Co.: Damage limited in Island kitchen fireby jmaloni
by Ray Pauley
Public Information Officer
Grand Island Fire Co.
Shortly before 1 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28, Grand Island Fire Co. firefighters responded to a call of smoke in a residence, which was discovered by the Love Road occupant who had returned home from a shopping trip.
When Engine No. 5 and firefighting crews arrived on location within two minutes, heavy smoke was encountered throughout the interior of the home. GIFC Deputy Chief Matt Osinski stated that "unattended cooking" caused overheating, which shattered the glass on a countertop electric stove. Although the fire was out upon arrival, damage was estimated at approximately $1,000.
A thermal imager was also used to rule out fire extension into nearby walls, flooring, etc. This valuable device permits firefighters to "see" into enclosed spaces to spot hidden fire and will be demonstrated at the GIFC Fire Prevention Open House on Oct. 12, Osinski noted.
All GIFC units returned to service at 1:21 p.m.