Free emergency preparedness training available in Cambriaby jmaloni
Beginning Sept. 19, Border Community SERVICE of Niagara University is hosting a free CERT training course at Cambria Fire Co., 4631 Cambria-Wilson Road, Cambria (Lockport). Classes run for nine consecutive Wednesday nights from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., culminating with a disaster simulation on Nov. 14.
CERT, or Community Emergency Response Team, training is a community preparedness course that includes academic and hands-on instruction as well as a disaster training exercise that is designed to prepare one to help oneself, family and neighbors in the event of a catastrophic disaster. Individuals can make a difference by using CERT to save lives and protect property in their neighborhood.
CERT training topics include:
- Disaster preparedness (disasters and disaster workers, community preparedness)
- Emergency medical operations I (triage and treating life threatening injuries)
- Emergency medical operations II (public health considerations and patient treatment)
- Fire safety (fire chemistry, hazards, safety and suppression)
- Light search and rescue: (search and rescue size up and operations)
- CERT team organization and incident command system (ICS 100)
- Disaster psychology (impact of disaster on rescuers and victims and its mitigation)
- Terrorism and CERT (terrorism and its goals, CERT protocols for terrorism)
- Disaster simulation training exercise (course review and hands-on exercise)
Participants must be at least 16 years old and plan to attend all sessions.
To enroll in the course, register online at http://www.niagara.edu/bcs-enrollment, and indicate for which class you'd like to enroll.
For more information, contact Valerie Haseley, Niagara County project coordinator, at 716-205-0076 or[email protected].
The mission of Border Community SERVICE (Special Emergency Response Volunteer Initiative for Community Empowerment) of Niagara University is to provide emergency preparedness training to citizens and to encourage their participation in opportunities that enhance regional emergency readiness.