7 designs purchased by America's top retailers; 3 designers advance to finale of NBC's 'Fashion Star'by jmaloni
Kara Laricks, Nikki Poulos, Orly Shani and Ronnie Escalante designed the winning garments in Tuesday night's episode of "Fashion Star"
Tuesday on NBC's "Fashion Star," the buyers challenged the designers to create a piece that was missing from each of the designers' collections. Four designers were successful in expanding their brand and America's top three retailers, Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue, purchased seven garments.
Celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos helped guide Kara Laricks, Nikki Poulos, Orly Shani and Ronnie Escalante in constructing their winning creations, which are available online and in stores now. In a twist, receiving a purchase did not ensure the designers' safety from elimination. In the end, Laricks, Escalante and Nzimiro Oputa advanced to the finale.
The series, hosted and executive produced by Elle Macpherson, will determine which designer will win the title of America's "Fashion Star" in next week's episode airing Tuesday, May 15 (10 p.m.).
Macy's buyer Caprice Willard purchased a pant suit from San Francisco designer Escalante and a trench coat from former school teacher Laricks (Macys.com/fashionstar)
- Escalante: Double-lapel suit jacket ($129): shawl collar with angled double-lapel detail and long sleeves with three-button detail at cuffs; padding in the shoulder for shape, front flap pockets and back vent; fully lined; color: ivory.
- Escalante: Wide-leg white pants ($79): front zip fly with hook-and-eye closure, front off-seam pockets with back welt pockets; relaxed fit through hip and thigh and wide leg; mid-rise pants; color: ivory. @EscalanteRonnie
- Laricks: Lightweight twill trench coat ($99): An updated trenchcoat with button front and princess seams for shape; long sleeved with button at cuffs, front-off seam pockets, self-belt ties at waist with back belt details, pleats and buttons; full floral print lining; color: tan, red. @KaraLaricks
H&M buyer Nicole Christie purchased a dress from Escalante, a jacket and trouser from California native Shani and a top from designer Laricks. (http://fashionstar.hm.com) @hmusa
- Escalante: Dress ($39.95): Straight-cut dress with folded pleats at front and back; two front welt pockets on skirt with hidden back zip; satin lining; color: white/blue. @EscalanteRonnie
- Laricks: Top ($24.95): Wide cut satin racerback with a printed pattern; large collar, bow and front draping; color: red. @KaraLaricks
- Shani: Jacket ($39.95): short, fitted blazer with front welt pockets and lace details at back; colors: white, yellow.
- Shani: Trouser ($24.95): Wide-length stretch pants with side pockets and back welt pockets; color: grey. @OrlyShani
Saks Fifth Avenue buyer Terron E. Shaffer purchased a dresses from Shani and Escalante (saksfifthavenue.com)
- Shani: Paneled sheath dress ($325): colorblocked panels add curvaceous contours to this sleek A-line sheath; jewel neckline with curved princess seams and center back zipper; color: ivory and black. @OrlyShani
- Escalante: One-shoulder striped dress ($325): boldly striped silk cut on the bias in a daring one-shoulder silhouette; single flared sleeve with angled neckline and flat front; color: print. @EscalanteRonnie
Nicole Richie kicked off the episode with a showcase of her spring line of Winter Kate. The designers then took the stage with their own garments. Some of them hit the mark and were purchased by the buyers, while others found it difficult to make a lasting impression. Oputa failed to make a sale for the night and quickly discovered that Saks Fifth Avenue buyer Shaffer is not easily impressed. Miami designer Luciana Scarabello also failed to make a sale. However, in a twist, a purchase from the buyers did not ensure the designers safety from elimination, and all of the designers found themselves at risk of going home. In the end, Shani, Poulos and Scarabello were eliminated from the competition leaving self-taught designer Oputa, Escalante and former fourth grade teacher Laricks in the final three.
For more information, visit NBC.com's official show site: http://www.nbc.com/fashionstar.