Four designs make the cut on NBC's 'Fashion Star'by jmaloni
Ronnie Escalante, Kara Laricks, Luciana Scarabello and Orly Shani impress the retailers on "Fashion Star"
Tuesday night on NBC's "Fashion Star," the remaining designers were paired off with celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos who then chose what each of them would construct for the week. Four designers were successful in creating garments that America's top three retailers (Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue) were interested in purchasing.
The celebrity mentors helped guide Ronnie Escalante, Kara Laricks, Luciana Scarabello and Orly Shani in constructing their winning creations, which are available online and in stores now.
The series, hosted and executive produced by Elle Macpherson, continues the search for America's "Fashion Star" in next week's episode airing Tuesday, May 1, (10 p.m.), when the designers are tasked with creating a brand campaign for their collections.
Macy's buyer Caprice Willard purchased a gown from San Francisco designer Escalante. (Macys.com/fashionstar)
- Escalante: One-shoulder asymmetrical evening gown ($169): chic sleeveless evening gown with one-shoulder styling and princess seam for shape; front and back asymmetrical neckline with layered foldover detail in back and front slit; floor-length and fully lined; colors: black and red. @escalanteronnie
- Scarabello: Dress ($39.95): fitted dress in woven fabric with a printed pattern; hidden back zipper; color: pink printed. @L_Scarabello
- Shani: Dress ($34.95): short dress in woven fabric with a collar and front draping; racerback design with decorative back cut out and hidden side zipper; color: blue. @Orlyshani
Saks Fifth Avenue buyer Terron E. Shaffer purchased designs from former fourth grade teacher Laricks. (saksfifthavenue.com)
- Laricks: Three-Button Jacket ($350): single-breasted wardrobe staple boasts a slightly boxier silhouette and cropped three-quarter sleeve; fold-over lapels with princess seams and three-button closure; color: off-white.
- Laricks: Twill Wide-Leg Pants ($195): an easy wide-leg silhouette tailored with crisp front pleats and a cuffed bottom, all in lightweight twill; wide-button-front waistband with back welt pockets and concealed side zipper; color: off-white.
- Laricks: Twill Plaid Shorts ($140): lightweight woven twill tailored with a sophisticated high waist and crisp front pleats; wide button front waist with slash pockets and cuffed bottom; side zipper; color: red plaid. @KaraLaricks
While Shani and Escalante raised the bar with their daring design choices, some of the designers failed to impress the retailers. Ross Bennett and John Varvatos butted heads over fabric choices and Sarah Parrott's lack of confidence hindered her creative process. Bennett, Nzimiro Oputa, Parrott and Nikki Poulos faced elimination after not receiving a purchase. The celebrity mentors saved self-taught designer Oputa. In the end, Parrot's lack of confidence resulted in her elimination from the competition.
"Fashion Star" scoured the country in search of the next big brand in fashion. Fourteen unknown designers were chosen and given the chance to win a multi-million dollar prize to launch their collections in three of America's largest retailers: Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue. The series features host and executive producer Elle Macpherson along with celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos.
For more information, visit NBC.com's official show site: http://www.nbc.com/fashionstar.