On Saturday, April 21, the North Tonawanda History Museum will celebrate with an open house from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. its eighth anniversary as a chartered museum (April 20) and the 115th anniversary of North Tonawanda becoming an incorporated city (April 24).
The board of trustees also will be celebrating the third year of the museum's occupancy of the Lumber City History Center building at 54 Webster St. Executive Director Donna Zellner Neal also notes that it will be the 147th anniversary of the chartering of the Village of North Tonawanda within the Town of Wheatfield on May 8. The History Museum also will celebrate the 176th anniversary (May 20) of the establishment of the Town of Wheatfield, at which time what is now North Tonawanda became part of the Town of Wheatfield, when it was removed from the Town of Niagara.
When George N. Burger built his tavern along the Niagara River approximately where Keil Street now would run into the river if it went all the way through, today's North Tonawanda was part of the Town of Cambria, the first town established in 1808 when Niagara County was established. North Tonawanda was part of the Town of Wheatfield for 61 years until it became an incorporated city and the History Museum has, from its first year, included recognition of "the Wheatfield Years" in its publications and programming.