Six summer fashion trends from NBC'S 'Fashion Star' designers on sale nowby jmaloni
Kara Laricks, Nikki Poulos, Nzimiro Oputa, Orly Shani, Ross Bennett and Sarah Parrott won in last night's episode of "Fashion Star"
Last night on NBC's "Fashion Star," six cutting-edge designers learned the importance of staying on trend after their summer essentials were purchased by three of America's top retailers: Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue. Celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos helped guide Kara Laricks, Nikki Poulos, Nzimiro Oputa, Orly Shani, Ross Bennett and Sarah Parrott in designing their winning creations, which are available online and in stores now.
The series, hosted and executive produced by Elle Macpherson, continues the search for America's "Fashion Star" in next week's episode airing Tuesday, April 3 (10 p.m.), when the remaining designers are challenged to create one high fashion piece and one mass-market garment.
Macy's buyer Caprice Willard purchased garments from Texan Bennett and beachwear designer Poulos. (Macys.com/fashionstar)
- Ross Bennett— cuffed pleated satin shorts ($59): Mid-rise stretch satin twill shorts with hook closure and zip fly. Pleated front with cuffed hem. Color: floral print, green gingham, hot pink. @TheRBCollection
- Poulos - wide-leg jersey halter jumpsuit($79): Matte jersey wide leg jumpsuit with scoop neckline. Elastic waistband with self-tie belt and no pockets. Unlined. Color: floral print, lavender, black. @nikkipoulos
- Parrott—Dress ($29.95): Long dress in woven fabric with a printed pattern and wrap skirt with front slit. Folded pleats below waistband, ties at side. Mesh racerback and hidden drawstring inside. Color: magenta printed. @sarahgparrott
- Oputa—Nick shorts ($24.95): Striped shorts in a linen blend with side pockets, back pockets and sewn, cuffed leg hems. Color: blue. @nzimirooputa
Saks Fifth Avenue buyer Terron E. Shaffer purchased summer trends from designers Laricks and Shani making it the second time each designer has been purchased by Saks Fifth Avenue. (saksfifthavenue.com)
- Shani—Scoopneck jersey dress ($295): Boldly color blocked jersey in a flattering scoopneck silhouette tapered from hip to hem. Wide straps, contrast waistband with bodice darts and center back zipper. @orlyshani
- Laricks—Plaid ankle pants ($225): A contrast satin sash brightens this tapered silhouette, styled with crisp front pleats and a sophisticated ankle crop. Hook-and-bar closure with slash pockets and belt loops. @karalaricks
While some designers scored big wins, others failed to impress the retailers and found themselves in jeopardy of leaving the competition. Celebrity mentors Simpson, Richie and Varvatos saw potential in Atlanta hopeful Edmond Newton and saved him from elimination. However, Lizzie Parker's ode to rock-n-roll didn't move the retailers and Luciana Scarabello's Miami-inspired designs fell flat. In the end, the retailers determined that Lizzie was not their "Fashion Star."